Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rerigging the Mast pt. 2

Leathered spreader tips on upper spreaders.

No need to worry, no cows were injured in the process. Only Elks, which I think are kinda like deer, but also soft and pretty and double suede on both sides when you rip their skins off and sew it to the spreaders with big needles and use it for protecting your sails from chafe on your yacht.
 

I bought a whole elk hide, four spreaders finished, but lots more to do.

Add caption

Picture of the new to us Tacktick wind instrument. Custom mount fabricated out of Black Delrin. A remnant of a log of delrin from a plastics lathe shaped like a hockey puck eventually turns into a wind instrument mount.

Shaped mount to match the curvature of the the masthead strap, fastened with 2 #10 wood screws, passing through the stainless and into the wood under the stainless strap.
New Coax and electrical wiring. I hated the idea of external wiring so to make the wiring less unsightly, I decided against using the nylon cable clamps and to make my own. Maybe a little hard to see in this photo but I made close to 50 of my own cable clamps out of brass stock which were cut, bent to fit 3 conductor and coax tightly, eliminating the sag between clamps, rounded with a file drilled, countersunk, etc... it was slightly time consuming to say the least.

This is a picture of the New babystay bracket i am fabricating. The mast had a slightly alarming inversion between the deck step and the lower spreaders. i decided to go ahead and add a babystay to pull the mast foreward and prevent any further inversion. The first step to fabricating this bracket was to drill a 3/4" hole for a G-10 tube to be epoxied in place for a compression tube and to house the 1/2" bolt for the stay to attach to. Then if the larger bearing surface of the g-10 tube begins to compress the spruce as it is pulled further foreward I checked this motion with 2 large stainless straps that wrap around the back of the mast. these are fastened with wood screws and one large 1/2" bolt.
With G-10 tube and reinforcement straps in place, I had to bend 3/16" stainless straps to form an attachment point for the actual stay itself. These straps bend around the mast and will eventually have a 3/8" hole for a fixed toggle and eventually a wire with marine eye swage or preferably Dynex Dux spliced around a Ronstan Sailmaker's thimble.

Straps wrap around the back of the mast for better strength. these actually line up straight, I guess the picture from under the mast was at a funny angle. Not being a straight bend at 90* I was rather impressed at how i was able to match the radius of the spar and do so with vice grips, a few cresent wrenches, and all bent by screwing the strap into a saw horse and bending with no vise.

The foreward staps were a lot more difficult to bend as there were more angled bends with the same mast radius to match. All of this matched with the fact that it is a much thicker 3/16" stainless, I had a very very hard time bending these foreward straps. I am, however, pleased with the results, though still a few things to finish.


Hopefully the finished product will not be too large and unsightly. Even so, It is definitely the strongest piece of hardware on the mast, (not counting that Tylaska T-30 I have absolutely no reason to own)

2 comments: